Malted Barley Flaxseed Waffles
There is nothing more joyous to wake up to in the morning than a warm, crispy waffle fresh off the iron. Especially when that morning is cool and drizzly, when you’ve donned a pair of fuzzy socks and a cozy sweater to stay warm (since you’re too cheap to turn on the heat, having spent all your money on food). The ingredients are quickly whisked together, the waffle cooks up in a matter of minutes, and then you’re curled up on the couch with a blanket and your steaming, syrup-topped waffle on your lap.
Even better when that waffle will get you geared to start the day, to pull off your warm pajamas and put on real pants. Crammed with whole grains and omega-3-packed flaxseeds, these waffles are a powerhouse of nutrition hidden in a light, slightly sweet, slightly tangy package. Delicious plain, topped with fruit, or drizzled with maple syrup or honey.
It’s the weekend. Treat yourself.
adapted from Bon Appetit
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup whole barley flour
- 1/4 cup whole flaxseeds
- 2 Tbsp malted milk powder (add more if you like a sweeter waffle)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (any fat %)
- 1 cup plain yogurt (any fat %)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- Combine the flours, flaxseeds, milk powder, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, yogurt, melted butter and eggs until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix gently until just combined. Let the batter rest 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your waffle iron. Pour the batter into the center of your preheated waffle iron and spread slightly (for my 8-inch round iron, I used about 3/4 cup batter per waffle). Close the iron and let the waffle cook until brown and crisp, about 4-5 minutes, depending on your waffle iron.
- Remove from the iron and eat immediately, or place on a baking sheet in a warm oven while you cook the remaining waffles.
- Serve warm with fruit, syrup or honey. Enjoy your delicious, nutritious breakfast!